Are Ping Pong Balls Toxic? It Really WORTH Reading!

Are Ping Pong Balls Toxic? It Really WORTH Reading!

Is there any potential danger behind the ping pong ball that we play every day? Read the article for some outstanding notes!

Ping pong is very popular, and people also take part in the national and international competition for this sport, meaning the production of the ball needs to focus on quality.

And because we play ping pong frequently with friends, and sometimes our kids want to practice with us, what we care about most is whether the ping pong balls are harmful to our health?

I will give you the answer below. But at first, let me introduce you the material used for making the balls.

What are ping pong balls made of?

I have written a detailed article about how to create a ping pong ball, but to answer this question quickly, I will tell you, it is celluloid.

Celluloid, considered the first thermoplastic, is a combination of nitrocellulose and camphor. It is easily molded and shaped, and it was initially used as an ivory replacement. Celluloid took many forms and color during the time it was being used as ornaments or decorations.

However, the primary use of celluloid is in the photographic film industry. Today, it is also well known as a material for ping pong balls. With its durability and lightness, along with the low cost, manufacturers have used celluloid as the ball material for a long time.

The light yellow ping pong ball made of celluloid

Are ping pong ball toxic?

Is celluloid toxic material?

You might wonder if a celluloid ping pong ball is toxic.

My answer is: “It’s not”!

You can find celluloid in jewelry, toys, and decorative items. So how can people choose a toxic material to create things that they see every day?

Thus, do not worry about your ping pong ball because basically, it doesn’t harm you.

However, celluloid is an extremely flammable substance so that it should be kept away from heat sources. A ping pong ball can easily ignite as soon as it reaches fire or any sources of heat.

You need to remember not to store your ping pong balls in some places prone to extreme hot temperature (such as an attic or sunny window). I think it is essential to keep in mind if you often have to store the ping pong balls made of celluloid.

“Sometimes, I smell the strange odor from my balls, is it poisonous?” Someone has asked me that. And here are all you should know!

Is the fume I smell from my ping pong ball poisonous?

If you are a regular player, you probably know that when a ping pong ball is dented, we often put it under hot running tap water to bring it back. And instead of buying a new one, we can continue playing it.

However, when soaked in hot water, your ball omits a scent of chemical, and you may wonder if it would be the toxic gas and when you inhale, whether it will harm your body.

But it’s not.

It’s just the smell of camphor when heated. But you are still fine even if you accidentally breathe in a little.

A dented ping pong ball

By the way, you have to remember not to store balls in the high moisture areas. This excess moisture can accelerate the deterioration of nitrocellulose. And its effect might damage other metal objects in your house.

Nowadays, people also use poly-plastic as a material to make ping pong balls. So is a poly-plastic ball toxic?

Is poly-plastic toxic material?

The reason we use poly-plastic instead of celluloid is that it seems more durable with heat, while celluloid is highly flammable.

Besides, there is no potential danger from a poly-plastic ball. When improving, people must consider the advantages of the material. They logically never choose a toxic substance to replace a non-toxic one.

But all we discussed seems to be useful knowledge for adults, but how about children? Should we let them play with ping pong balls?

Are ping pong balls dangerous for children to play?

As I mentioned above, basically, a ping pong ball is not toxic when exposed to hand skin. So if you have a kid who is passionate about this sport, let him or her play, because it will be still safe for them.

But, with a toddler, we will have a different story. A 2-year-old boy probably prefers biting balls rather than using it to play.

What I just said? Either celluloid or poly-plastic is not harmful when held in hand, but it does not mean it is harmless when given into mouths.

In contrast, that action is hazardous. Plastics are generally toxic if exposed inside your body, especially to children. So, pay attention to this.

Wrapping Up

In short, rest assured with your ping pong balls because they are not toxic. But remember to store them in some areas with low temperatures and humidity. And it had better stay out of the reach of your toddlers.

You can share your thoughts on the comment section below. And don’t forget to like and share this article if you think it’s useful and informative.

Source: Sport Life Z

We will be happy to hear your thoughts

      Leave a reply

      This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

      Sport Life Z
      Enable registration in settings - general